Wow- all I’ve been posting lately is Color Play Friday! I’ve been busy sewing Halloween costumes, but that’s done now. I do have some quilting projects in the works, and should be starting to show them soon. To really keep up-to-date on what I’m doing, your best bet is to follow me on Twitter, Periscope and Instagram.
More about Color Play Friday:
Trina from In An Otter Life and I created Color Play Friday one day after a nice trip to the fabric store together.
Here are the rules:
- Each week, Trina or I will select a picture from our joint Pinterest board. These are all pictures that one of us has taken on our adventures.
- We each create a palette using colors from that picture
- We then create a bundle of 5-8 fabrics that is inspired by that palette. They don’t have to be an exact match to our palette, and we can throw in contrasting or accent colors, but the bundle should look inspired by the palette.
- We don’t see anyone else’s palette or bundle before we post on Friday.
- That’s it! It’s going to be so fun to see what we each come up with.
This weeks photo was taken by me a couple of years ago after Christmas. I was taking all the ornaments off the Christmas trees and sticking them in a box so I could pack them nicely later. Suddenly, I looked down and saw all this Christmasy wonderfulness piled on top of each other and had to snap a photo.
WAIT A MINUTE?! Two palettes?! Two bundles?!
That’s right, I’m a big old cheater pants this week. As I was selecting fabrics, I found myself torn between a literal interpretation of what I was seeing in the picture, and how the picture made me FEEL.
So I figured two is better than one and went for it!
Here are the fabrics I chose:
Makower UK, Christmas 2015 Scandi, Snowflakes in Beige
Makower UK, Christmas 2015 Scandi, Linen Texture
Kaffe Fasset, Shot Cottons, Woven in Mulberry
Kate Spain, Solstice, Hemisphere in Berry
Robert Kaufman, Metro Living, Ogee in Scarlet
Whistler Studios, Glisten Metallic Gold
Joel Dewberry, True Colors, Scrollwork in Green
Basic Grey, Blitzen,Creatures in Evergreen
Makower UK, Christmas 2015 Scandi, Hearts and Stars in Red
Bunnyhill Designs, Winter Wonderland, Candy Cane Stripe,Tonal Redwork
Bunnyhill Designs, Winter Wonderland, Redwork
Doodlebug Design Inc, Santa Express, Santa Stripe in Red
Jo Clark, Organic, Festive, Gingerbread People
Micheal Miller, Glitz Metallic Quarter Dot, Pearlized Glitz
Makower UK, Wonderland, Houses
Victoria Hutto, Holly Jollies, Dots in Black
A note about scale:
- While I believe scale is a very important part of fabric selection, the fabrics shown in my Color Play images are not always perfectly to scale. I do my best, by you should always double check scale before ordering!
Don’t forget to head over to In an Otter Life to see what Trina came up with and to Shimmy and More to see Steph’s bundle!
You can also head over to my Color Play Friday page to see my palettes and bundles from previous weeks.
Next week’s photo is Pike Place Market from Trina
Are you enjoying Color Play Friday? We’d love for you to get in on the fun and create your own Color Play post! You can create a bundle of fabric, select yarns or embroidery threads, or create a project inspired by our photo. Be sure to let Trina or I know so we can link up to you. You can get in contact with me via email, or by tagging me on Instagram.
I hope you can join us next week!
Happy Sewing, ~L