Hi Guys! Thank Goodness it’s (Color Play) Friday!
More about Color Play Friday:
Trina from In An Otter Life and I created Color Play Friday one day after a nice trip to the fabric store together.
Here are the rules:
- Each week, Trina or I will select a picture from our joint Pinterest board. These are all pictures that one of us has taken on our adventures.
- We each create a palette using colors from that picture
- We then create a bundle of 5-8 fabrics that is inspired by that palette. They don’t have to be an exact match to our palette, and we can throw in contrasting or accent colors, but the bundle should look inspired by the palette.
- We don’t see anyone else’s palette or bundle before we post on Friday.
- That’s it! It’s going to be so fun to see what we each come up with.
I took this week’s photo at Kla Ha Ya Days, a festival held each summer in my hometown of Snohomish, Washington. There’s normal festival entertainment: carnival, parade, icecream eating contest… Then you have the more quirky events: hot air balloon glow, bed races (yes, real beds on wheels), a baby crawling race, and the classic frog jump contest. You can’t make this stuff up.
A couple of summers ago, my family went to watch the balloon glow and stopped at the carnival beforehand so the kids could go on some rides. This photo was a failed attempt at trying to get a picture of my son on the ride, but I liked how the movement created a blur. It almost gives you the same sort of dizzy feeling you get when you are on a carnival ride with lights whizzing by.
It was a bit of a magical night watching the rides and dancing with my kids in a field while waiting for the balloons to fill up. It ended up being too windy and the balloon glow was a bust, but the time together as a family is one of the best memories!
So, here’s my palette and bundle!
I loved in this picture how the bright colors of the swings contrasted with the slate grey of the sky at sunset.
Here are the fabrics I chose:
A note about scale:
- While I believe scale is a very important part of fabric selection, the fabrics shown in my Color Play images are not always perfectly to scale. I do my best, by you should always double check scale before ordering!
You can also head over to my Color Play Friday page to see my palettes and bundles from previous weeks.
Here’s the photo I chose for next week:
Are you enjoying Color Play Friday? We’d love for you to get in on the fun and create your own Color Play post! You can create a bundle of fabric, select yarns or embroidery threads, or create a project inspired by our photo. Be sure to let Trina or I know so we can link up to you. You can get in contact with me via email, or by tagging me on Instagram.
I hope you can join us next week!
Happy Sewing, ~L