A couple of weeks ago, I shared my list for this years All People Quilt UFO Challenge.
I got pretty down-to-the-wire finishing the Improv blocks quilt top, but I did it!
At the start of the month, I had just one improv block done and a general idea in my head of what the layout should be. As I finished up my blocks, I decided they would have more visual impact placed on point, which changed the layout completely from my original plan. As always when creating, staying flexible is key!
Because I was in a rush to finish it before the end of the month, I had some technical problems with ‘bubbling’ from bias stretching. Honestly, though, I’m ok with that! I would never have finished this quilt top this month if it hadn’t been for the challenge of a deadline. Done is better than perfect. Plus, I plan on quilting it fairly heavily which will work out some of the bumps I got from letting my bias stretch. I will be gifting this quilt later in the year, so for now it’s going to hang out in my studio as an unfinished top!
I also finished one of my bonus projects this month! I am planning a workshop soon to teach By Your Side and was rewriting a few things on the pattern (quilt math for the background, mostly!). I decided to do up a top following the changes so I would have a sample that reflected them. And since all my bonus slots are for that pattern, it was a win/win situation!
This will be used as a sample for my class and then eventually gifted to a friend.
I’d say so far the UFO challenge has been a success! I am already well on my way to getting February’s project done too.
Happy Sewing, ~L