How did a whole week get by again without me posting anything?! Time flies when you’re having fun, I guess. And I had a great time this last week!
First of all, I designed a fabric for the Spoonflower “Love is in the Air” challenge. As soon as I heard the theme, I knew exactly what I wanted to do. You can see the fabric I entered here, or go here to see winners from last week and to vote on this week’s contest.
I’m also working hard to finish up all the swap blocks I’ve committed to doing this month. I signed up for an orange block exchange at my last guild meeting, and it turned out that 10 other ladies signed up as well! So, that was 11 blocks to sew. And today I need to finish up my Button blocks for the Sister Sampler Bonfire Swap.
Add to that Trina’s Woodland Postcard Swap and all my other WIPs, and you’ve got one busy sewist- good thing I love it!
More about Color Play Friday:
Trina from In An Otter Life and I created Color Play Friday one day after a nice trip to the fabric store together.
Here are the rules:
- Each week, Trina or I will select a picture from our joint Pinterest board. These are all pictures that one of us has taken on our adventures.
- We each create a palette using colors from that picture
- We then create a bundle of 5-8 fabrics that is inspired by that palette. They don’t have to be an exact match to our palette, and we can throw in contrasting or accent colors, but the bundle should look inspired by the palette.
- We don’t see anyone else’s palette or bundle before we post on Friday.
- That’s it! It’s going to be so fun to see what we each come up with.
This sweet guy is named Skywalker. I met him when I was in Eastern Washington with my mom visiting her best friend and her best friend’s mother. We were picking apples and Skywalker (the neighbor horse) was the happy recipient of our rejects. When I snapped this photo, he was trying to steal an apple from my hand- rotten boy!
This week, I decided to ignore the green grass and just focus on Skywalker’s amazing colors. Having a neutral palette that includes a lot of brown, my natural tendency would normally be towards a very masculine bundle. But instead I really wanted to capture the feeling from the weekend….. two mothers and two daughters drinking tea, picking apples and sitting on the back porch watching nothing in particular. As a result, I ended up with a very floral, feminine bundle.
Here are the fabrics I chose:
A note about scale:
- While I believe scale is a very important part of fabric selection, the fabrics shown in my Color Play images are not always perfectly to scale. I do my best, by you should always double check scale before ordering!
Don’t forget to head over to the other blogs and see what they came up with! The fun of Color Play Friday is seeing the differences and similarities between everyone’s bundles.
Participants this week:
Laurel and Pine (that’s me!)
You can also head over to my Color Play Friday page to see my palettes and bundles from previous weeks.
Here is our photo for next week, simply titled NYC. You can find it here.
Are you enjoying Color Play Friday? We’d love for you to get in on the fun and create your own Color Play post! You can create a bundle of fabric, select yarns or embroidery threads, or create a project inspired by our photo. Be sure to let Trina or I know so we can link up to you. You can get in contact with me via email, or by tagging me on Instagram.
I hope you can join us next week!
Happy Sewing, ~L