Hi friends! We’re now a week into the New Year…. how’s it going for everyone so far?
I’m so excited about this weeks Color Play! Our photo this week was taken by me on our family vacation to Yellowstone. When we planned our trip, I had no idea that it would end up being one of my very favorite family vacations. I know everyone loves Old Faithful, but for me Yellowstone was all about the prismatic pools. And the Grand Prismatic Spring was simply amazing.
On these cold winter days, it’s nice to remember that warm summer day with my family and the heat and mist of the Springs!
More about Color Play Friday:
Trina from In An Otter Life and I created Color Play Friday one day after a nice trip to the fabric store together.
Here are the rules:
- Each week, Trina or I will select a picture from our joint Pinterest board. These are all pictures that one of us has taken on our adventures.
- We each create a palette using colors from that picture
- We then create a bundle of 5-8 fabrics that is inspired by that palette. They don’t have to be an exact match to our palette, and we can throw in contrasting or accent colors, but the bundle should look inspired by the palette.
- We don’t see anyone else’s palette or bundle before we post on Friday.
- That’s it! It’s going to be so fun to see what we each come up with.
I love how the steam coming off the bright turquoise pool created some nice, hazy teals for me to work with. And they’re a perfect compliment to those gorgeous oranges. Can you believe that’s algea?! I also grabbed some grey from the steam and hills in the background. The neutral helps mellow out the palette a bit.
Here are the fabrics I chose:
A note about scale:
- While I believe scale is a very important part of fabric selection, the fabrics shown in my Color Play images are not always perfectly to scale. I do my best, by you should always double check scale before ordering!
Don’t forget to head over to In an Otter Life to see what Trina came up with!
You can also head over to my Color Play Friday page to see my palettes and bundles from previous weeks.
Next week’s photo is Lunchbox Laboratory from Trina.
Are you enjoying Color Play Friday? We’d love for you to get in on the fun and create your own Color Play post! You can create a bundle of fabric, select yarns or embroidery threads, or create a project inspired by our photo. Be sure to let Trina or I know so we can link up to you. You can get in contact with me via email, or by tagging me on Instagram.
I hope you can join us next week!
Happy Sewing, ~L