Happy Friday, friends! I hope everyone had a wonderful week. Being the first week of the month, this Wednesday was the day that both my guilds had their meetings. I’ve been unable to attend the Modern Quilt Guild meetings because they conflict with my teaching at church, but I was able to change things around a bit and now I can go to both guild’s meetings!
At my morning guild, we got to hear all about silk from the super-talented JB Scharf. I started the presentation with absolutely no interest in working with silk and by the end I was planning my first thrift shop, silk-buying trip. I’d say that’s a job well done on her part!
In the evening, I headed over to Quilting Mayhem for the meeting of the Snohomish MQG. I had attended one planning meeting before we became an official guild, but this was technically my first meeting. We spent some time doing a little planning for the future and then got to see some amazing show-and-tells. It was fun to see some projects up close and personal that I had been admiring on Instagram. It’s REALLY fun when you realize that someone you’re a fan of is in your guild and you can mentally connect the actual person with their work!
Having two guild meetings in one day sure does get my imagination going on all sorts of potential projects!
More about Color Play Friday:
Trina from In An Otter Life and I created Color Play Friday one day after a nice trip to the fabric store together.
Here are the rules:
- Each week, Trina or I will select a picture from our joint Pinterest board. These are all pictures that one of us has taken on our adventures.
- We each create a palette using colors from that picture
- We then create a bundle of 5-8 fabrics that is inspired by that palette. They don’t have to be an exact match to our palette, and we can throw in contrasting or accent colors, but the bundle should look inspired by the palette.
- We don’t see anyone else’s palette or bundle before we post on Friday.
- That’s it! It’s going to be so fun to see what we each come up with.
This week’s photo was taken at a friend’s wedding a couple of summers ago in my beautiful hometown. Hydrangeas were my wedding flower, so I had to snap a shot of these.
I knew that my palette this week was really going to focus on purple. There are so many options in hydrangea flowers for different shades and tones of purple, so I had a lot to work with. Then as soon as I pulled out that green from the leaves, I was in love with this whole thing! I wanted fabrics for my bundle that were child-like and whimsical.
Here’s what I chose:
A note about scale:
- While I believe scale is a very important part of fabric selection, the fabrics shown in my Color Play images are not always perfectly to scale. I do my best, by you should always double check scale before ordering!
Don’t forget to head over to the other blogs and see what they came up with! The fun of Color Play Friday is seeing the differences and similarities between everyone’s bundles.
Participants this week:
Laurel and Pine (that’s me!)
You can also head over to my Color Play Friday page to see my palettes and bundles from previous weeks.
Here is our photo for next week.
Are you enjoying Color Play Friday? We’d love for you to get in on the fun and create your own Color Play post! You can create a bundle of fabric, select yarns or embroidery threads, or create a project inspired by our photo. Be sure to let Trina or I know so we can link up to you. You can get in contact with me via email, or by tagging me on Instagram.
I hope you can join us next week!
Happy Sewing, ~L