Happy Friday! This week brought lots of snow and terrible weather to all of you friends on the East Coast, but here in the Pacific Northwest, I’m starting to see signs that spring is slowly on her way. Daffodil leaves are starting to emerge and I’m starting to see the buds swelling on the trees.
I’m hoping the coming week brings some relief from the severe weather.
More about Color Play Friday:
Trina from In An Otter Life and I created Color Play Friday one day after a nice trip to the fabric store together.
Here are the rules:
- Each week, Trina or I will select a picture from our joint Pinterest board. These are all pictures that one of us has taken on our adventures.
- We each create a palette using colors from that picture
- We then create a bundle of 5-8 fabrics that is inspired by that palette. They don’t have to be an exact match to our palette, and we can throw in contrasting or accent colors, but the bundle should look inspired by the palette.
- We don’t see anyone else’s palette or bundle before we post on Friday.
- That’s it! It’s going to be so fun to see what we each come up with.
I have to admit- this picture freaks me out. I grew up fishing, crabbing, and clam digging on the Puget Sound, but I still can’t stomach most seafood once it makes it to the plate. Give me some salmon, some halibut- and I’m a happy girl. But throw in anything with shells, tentacles or legs and I’m out!
I chose this picture, though, because the colors were too interesting to pass up! They are so far from anything I would normally choose, that I had to give it a try.
I knew when picking my palette and fabrics that I wanted to use as many colors as possible to show the range of the yellows, reds and purples and help blend everything together.
Also, since the picture itself was grossing me out a bit, I wanted to make my bundle super cute. So I thought to myself: “Who likes seafood- CATS!” Silly, I know, but it worked for me. I started with the Lizzy House Cats and built my bundle from there.
Here are the fabrics I chose:
A note about scale:
- While I believe scale is a very important part of fabric selection, the fabrics shown in my Color Play images are not always perfectly to scale. I do my best, by you should always double check scale before ordering!
Don’t forget to head over to the other blogs and see what they came up with! The fun of Color Play Friday is seeing the differences and similarities between everyone’s bundles.
Participants this week:
Laurel and Pine (that’s me!)
You can also head over to my Color Play Friday page to see my palettes and bundles from previous weeks.
Are you enjoying Color Play Friday? We’d love for you to get in on the fun and create your own Color Play post! You can create a bundle of fabric, select yarns or embroidery threads, or create a project inspired by our photo. Be sure to let Trina or I know so we can link up to you. You can get in contact with me via email, or by tagging me on Instagram.
I hope you can join us next week!
Happy Sewing, ~L